Phd Position: Modelling vegetation response to deforestation, degradation, and climate change in the Amazon region
The project aims at developing a better understanding of how and to what extent countries can influence tropical forest bioeconomy pathways through the integration and informed design of environmental policy instruments. Direct contributions to the ongoing debate on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (REDD+) and the impact of climate change on tropical forest ecosystem services are expected.
The selected candidate will adjust a dynamic vegetation model (the aDGVM2) that is being developed at BiK-F in the context of the Amazon region and collaborate with an interdisciplinary team at ZEF towards integrating the vegetation model with socio-economic models of land use and policy change.
Applications must be submitted to Vanesa Rodriguez Osuna (email@example.com). Please consider the requirements for applications.
Start: at the earliest August 2014
Duration of the program: 36 months
Working Language: English or Spanish
Language of the Doctoral Thesis: English
Subject Requirements (Qualification)
- M.Sc. degree or equivalent in ecology and related fields, geography, mathematics or physics
- Interest or experience in dynamic vegetation modelling
- Advanced modelling/programming skills, for example, using C/C++, Mathlab, or R.
- Willingness to engage in interdisciplinary collaboration with social sciences
- Excellent English writing skills and motivation to learn basic Spanish or Portuguese communication skills
- Good intercultural communication and teamwork skills
Type of Persons
- Curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
University / Organisation advertising the position
University / Organisation
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
Faculty / Institute
Zentrum für Entwicklungsforschung Center for Development Research