Three PhD scholarships in Usability and Interaction design (Denmark)
DTU Management Engineering is offering one or more PhD scholarship(s) in the area of design and new product development. The PhD students will be attached to the newly formed division of Technology and Innovation Management. The division is expanding significantly during the years to come and is organised within three research themes: Industrial Dynamics & Strategy; Entrepreneurship; and Design Engineering & Innovation. The PhD students will belong to the Design Engineering & Innovation group.
Responsibilities and tasks
The PhDs will be based on one of the following topics:
1)Rapid usability assessment at the early stages of design. The project is expected to advance knowledge of how to identify the key usability factors of products at the early stages of product development process, partial assessment of products, and investigate how to transfer the obtained information to designers in order to enhance the creative process of idea generation and problem solving. The purpose is to reduce the product development cycle. A model/tool to support companies with assessing usability is expected to be produced and evaluated.
2) Assisted generation of shapes for products/Shape grammars. This project aims to investigate the creation of shapes for products targeting different emotions or perceptions through the use of computer programs. The research project is expected to explore the areas of emotional design and perception. The PhD is expected to result in a computational tool that enables the random generation of shapes that follow a set of requirements in order to create new products, is expected to be the outcome. Different application areas will be investigated.
3) Requirements for emerging markets. This project aims to investigate the requirements of products to be successful in emerging markets. This will involve the analysis of products (and possibly users), platform & modular design, as tools to adapt the products to the new market needs. Design methods and processes used in emerging markets are of interest to the western world. The outcome of the project is expected to be a design method to support the design of products for emerging markets. An additional outcome would be guidelines on how to adapt the methods from the emerging markets.
The projects will be expected to be conducted in collaboration with companies.
The starting date will be as soon as possible and before the end of the year.
The main supervisor will be Associate Professor Saeema Ahmed-Kristensen with possible co-supervisors.
Candidates must have a master degree in engineering with a focus on Engineering Design/product Development or equivalent academic qualifications. In addition, they should:
- have competence in the field of engineering design, and knowledge of (or interest in learning) usability and interaction design
- have competence in (or interest in learning) quantative methods including statistics, in addition to qualitative methods
- have competence in (or interest in learning) programming skills
- be able to work independently, while also being part of a dynamic research group
- be able to engage with industry
- be highly proficient in English, both written and spoken
Approval and Enrolment
The scholarships for the PhD degree are subject to academic approval, and the candidates will be enrolled in one of the general degree programmes of DTU. For information about the general requirements for enrolment and the general planning of the scholarship studies, please see the DTU PhD Guide.
The assessment of the applicants will be made by: Professor Saeema Ahmed-Kristensen.
Salary and appointment terms
The salary and appointment terms are consistent with the current rules for PhD degree students. The period of employment is 3 years.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Saeema Ahmed-Kristensen, phone no. +45 45 25 55 63.
You can read more about DTU Management Engineering on www.man.dtu.dk.
We must have your online application by 1 September 2013. Please open the link ‘apply for this job online’, fill in the application form and attach the following documents (in English):
- A letter motivating the application (cover letter)
- A brief project description on the selected PhD topic (1-3 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Grade transcripts and BSc/MSc diploma
- Excel sheet with translation of grades to the Danish grading system (see guidelines and excel spreadsheet here)
Candidates may apply prior to obtaining their master’s degree, but cannot begin before having received it.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, inability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and public service. Our staff of 5,000 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 9,000 students are educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.